January 11, 2011

Now for the Marinade

I am very, very interested in nutrition (more on that another time), so it is with hesitation that I share this magical marinade. At home, I cook with whole foods as much as possible. However, I have not yet found a substitute for this delicious marinade, which transforms all things grilled: chicken, beef, lamb, shrimp, fish, peppers, onions, zucchini, etc. So I will share it, but I can’t even be sure that it’s milk-free, because the list of ingredients is absurdly non-specific:

* Salt
* Red pepper and other spices
* Garlic
* Silicon doxide (to prevent caking)

Sad. “Other spices” can mean anything, so be forewarned: This is delicious, but not for those who need to be militant about allergens.

The magic: Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning mixed with honey mustard salad dressing. Any honey mustard will do, though some work better than others. My favorite is Brianna’s Dijon Honey Mustard, though that’s also shady, with “natural flavor” in the list of ingredients. I’m not advertising for these places, just for the wonderful combination of flavors that works so well on meats. Kebabs are especially wonderful with this marinade brushed on. Shrimp and chicken with green peppers, onions, and cherry tomatoes, or beef with onions, cherry tomatoes, and zucchini or yellow squash = YUM.

1 comment:

  1. Adorable post, as always. Interesting fact about “other spices.” That’s crazy that "other spices" can be milk. Thanks for pointing that out.

    ReplyDelete