March 22, 2011

San Francisco Eats: Radius

Our second night in San Francisco we were really excited to go to Radius in SOMA, which sources all of its food from within a 100-mile radius of the restaurant. Awesome.

Radius, though not sharing the same owners at Cotogna, did share the simple and brown decor. What's with the brown, San Fran?

We ordered the oysters (yum), and even made our friend Doug try one. It's fun making people eat oysters. We always think that they are going to have a slightly transformative experience, like we did when first trying them. I swear, oysters just make me feel better somehow. (Maybe I'm just really proud of myself for daring to put such a disgusting looking creature in my mouth?) Anyway, no one ever does transform into a glowing ball of light in front of us. Why? Thoughts on oysters? Love them? Hate them? Do they make anyone else feel just a little bit inexplicably happier?

Doug, not to be shown up by our oyster-eating, ordered the Stuffed Daikon with Broccoli Spigarello, King Trumpet Mushrooms, and French Onion Consume. We didn't even know what a daikon was, so the waiter brought one out to show us. Turns out it's a long white radish. Doug loved it. Do any of you eat these?

Graybeard had the Roasted Chicken with Escarole, Maitake Mushrooms, and Thumbelina Carrots and said it was one of the best meals he's ever eaten. I snatched as many bites as I could. I don't know how they made something so simple so flavorful, but they did. I highly recommend it.


I had the Ocean Trout with Carrot Puree, Beluga Lentils, Cauliflower Romanesco, and Pickled Mustard Seeds, which didn't blow my mind. I'm on the fence about lentils. I don't usually like them, but every now and then I'll try something with them and love it, so I always end up giving them another chance, only to be disappointed once more. Does anyone have a mind-blowing lentil recipe that will make me a convert? They're so healthy, I really want to like them.


Dessert. Normally I am not a huge dessert person. I'll pick potato chips over pie any day. It's salt I crave, not sweets. But holy moly, the Lemon Curd Tart with Chocolate Praline Crunch, Candied Almonds, and Meringue could restructure the entire chemistry of my tastebuds and make me a sweet craver, if only I could have that every day. It doesn't look like much, but it was so fantastic that I had to stop myself from pleading with Graybeard to take me back there again the next day for more. I can't think about it. It's too unattainable. I can't let myself learn to make it either. That would be dangerous. It's best that all of the U.S. stands between us. Did this have milk in it? Almost certainly, but I was on vacation, and I am only human. (Please to not tell my allergist.)


Graybeard had the Chocolate Pudding Parfait with Cocoa Nib Streusel, and Whipped Mascarpone, which I didn't even try, I was so happy with my tart. But he liked it.


San Fran, you're picking up steam. Next up, Quince.

No comments:

Post a Comment