May 25, 2011

No Portobello Mushroom Fajita Left Behind


In case you haven't heard, the rapture has been postponed until October 21st. So. Just in case you missed out on wrecking havoc on your last day on which to repent, you'll have another shot come October. Check out this list of things to do on the day before the rapture. This is the one that I want to do: "Go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York and touch the Van Gogh works’ thick, bumpy gobs of paint."

Once I almost touched a Monet, but Graybeard, who was my boyfriend at the time, told me that he would break up with me if I did. It was only a crappy Monet, all brown and kinda ugly, hanging on the wall at One If By Land, Two If By Sea, which we went to one night during Restaurant Week. Graybeard seemed to think that I was intoxicated, as the only reservations we could get were for 10pm and so to kill time we had two drinks on empty stomachs beforehand. But as I tell him to this day, I still want to touch a Monet. And now we're married, so I don't have to behave myself anymore. It's not like he can leave me and tell people that it's because I touched a Monet. So. Next October, before I go to church, I might be stopping by the Met, where there are not only Van Goghs, but also Monets. Meet me there. You know you want to touch one too.

Seeing as how we're all still here, and the rapture did not, in fact, befall last weekend, let's eat. In addition to being potentially rapturous, last weekend was Rachel's bachelorette weekend. I was responsible for inappropriate head wear for the bachelorette party and chocolate chip cookies and apple cake for the bridal shower. The plan was to make delicious cookies and share that recipe with you, but the fantastic recipe I use fell behind the stove somehow. Because the consensus was "don't move the stove just to retrieve a cookie recipe, you lunatic," I had to find another recipe, and it wasn't share-worthy.

So instead of celebrating still being here being a good thing by sharing that cookie recipe with you, I'm going to celebrate with a tasty portobello mushroom fajita recipe, because those are almost interchangeable with chocolate chip cookies on the Festive Scale. No? Well, they'll have to do, because I'm not allowed to move the stove.

My lovely sister-in-law Shelly gave me the idea to make these for a quick, meatless weeknight dinner. This recipe has gone into the very exclusive regular recipe rotation. Unlike us during last weekend's underwhelming rapture, there are never any of these fajitas left behind.

Portobello Mushroom Fajitas from Cooking Light

Ingredients

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 4 cups (1/2-inch-thick) slices portobello mushrooms (about 8 ounces)
  • 1 cup vertically sliced red onion
  • 1 cup (1/4-inch-thick) green bell pepper strips
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 serrano chile, minced
  • 12 (6-inch) flour tortillas
  • Daiya cheese (doesn't really matter which kind, they both kinda taste the same)
  • 3/4 cup salsa (or diced tomatoes)
These are really easy, and you can vary the ingredients a lot to taste and still end up with a surprisingly falavorful dinner, despite the simplicity of the ingredients. The mushrooms really soak up the flavor.

Preparation
1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. 

2. Add mushrooms and sauté for 5 minutes or until almost tender. 

3. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Reduce heat to medium, and cook for 4 minutes or until bell pepper is crisp-tender, stirring frequently.




    4. Remove from heat; stir in cilantro, lime juice, salt, black pepper, and chile.

    5. If you have a gas stove, turn the flame onto medium low and throw your tortilla on it for about 10 seconds on each side to get it nice and warm and a little toasted, making sure not to burn it. If you don't have a gas stove, warm tortillas according to package directions.

    6. Spoon about 1/4 cup mushroom mixture down center of each tortilla; top each tortilla with 4 teaspoons cheese and 1 tablespoon salsa. Roll up.



    I serve these with black beans and avocado.

    7 comments:

    1. Wow these look so yummy. I will def. be giving this recipe a try! Cathy O'

      ReplyDelete
    2. Where is the carnivorous part of this meal?????
      -rllw

      ReplyDelete
    3. Thanks, Cathy! They are sooo easy and good. Tell me if you like them!

      rllw, it's in your mind! You could switch out meat for mushrooms, but the mushrooms are so easy.

      ReplyDelete
    4. perhaps you should rename your blog Fungivorous vegan?

      ReplyDelete
    5. Hmmm, I will have to consider that. Send me a few more mushroom recipes and we'll see.

      ReplyDelete
    6. I think this is your Texan side coming out in NYC--looks good!

      ReplyDelete
    7. MW, ha! I know, I've accepted that part of me is a Texan after all (though not the part of me that hates 90-degree weather). Have any good Texas recipes for me to try and share?

      ReplyDelete