August 29, 2011

Hurricane Irene Drowned My CSA



My CSA farm is under water.

That picture is from an email I received from them. Yikes.


But they still delivered today what they scrambled to pick pre-Irene. Which is:

  • A basket of "cluster" tomatoes
  • A basket of sun gold cherry tomatoes
  • Leeks
  • Biscayne peppers
  • Banana peppers
  • Carrots
  • Hot peppers
  • Summer savory
  • Bell eggplant
  • Cabbage

I'm not sure whether there will be a delivery to make next week. How crazy to be a farmer and have so much of your livelihood depend on something as capricious as the weather. My heart goes out to them.



Tonight while Graybeard blissfully watches the Jets/Giants pre-season game, I'll make pasta with the leeks (a new-found love) and red tomatoes, and be thinking of those who grew them for me. 


1 comment:

  1. Such a shame. Good luck to them!

    ReplyDelete