August 5, 2011

I'm back! (And I have fresh CSA veggies to show you!)

Oh my goodness. Am I ever happy to be done with my summer classes. I'll tell you what: three science courses with labs in two months on two different ends of the city during a super hot summer = way too much work, commuting, and sweat. But I'm done! In only two months! Now I am happy, and I still have a little bit left of the summer to enjoy.

It turns out that organic chemistry is not quite as interesting as you may have always imagined, and anatomy and physiology is (are?) wildly interesting. I mean really nutsto fascinating. Our bodies are incredible. You know about all your organs and such, but the tiny stuff, how we work at the cellular level...wow. We should all have to take A&P at some point. I mean, it's only the subject of our own bodies. Might be something many of us would find useful to know about.

You suspected that I may have abandoned the blog for good, didn't you? Well, I didn't. I am very happy to say that now that my summer of tests is over I'm back to blogging (and to work), and there are several things I have been eager to post about, #1 being the beautiful vegetables from my Community Supported Agriculture share. In the first weeks it was a lot of lettuce. Then it was a lot of squash. I hear it now will be a lot of tomatoes, which is quite wonderful. Take a look at my pretties:




This is what you're looking at:

Summer spinach
Summer squash
Cucumbers
Wala wala onion
Tomatillos
Okra
Sun gold cherry tomatoes
Slicing tomatoes
Opal basil
Lilac peppers
Green bell pepper
Oriental eggplant



That purple stuff is the opal basil. One of the great things about doing a CSA is that I get to try all kinds of new, fun veggis I've never even heard of, like purple basil, which according to Wikipedia won an All-American Selection Award (whatever that is) in 1962. 


 Those purple beauties are lilac peppers, another thing I had never seen.


Aren't they lovely?


I was so excited about my boon, after I took pictures I left the veggies out till Graybeard got home so that I could show them off. Graybeard said that it was like my fantasy football draft. Now I finally understand his bizarro amount of excitement about those.


 Those are sun gold cherry tomatoes, which are the sweetest, most flavorful tomatoes I've had in years.


 Tomatillos! What in the world am I going to do with those? Suggestions?


All this fresh, local, organic food cost a mere $24. I am happy. I don't even want to think about how much it would have cost for all this at a grocery store. If you're interested in learning about CSAs or finding one near you, check out the LocalHarvest website. CSAs are good for you, good for farmers, and tons of fun if you like to cook.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, this looks amazing! Look at all the colors! I would make enchiladas with the tomatillos. Can't wait to see what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the idea, Sarena! I found a recipe for chicken enchiladas with roasted tomatillo-chile sauce that I'm going to try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the color of the basil! Picking up my CSA share every week feels like Christmas to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you applying to medical school?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm applying to the Nutrition Education master's program at the Teacher's College at Columbia University. I'll be finishing up my application this fall. Please cross your fingers for me!

    ReplyDelete