September 13, 2011

The CSA: A Flood... Er, Fond... Farewell


My CSA is over for the season. I will remember those days of abundance always... the days when I was rolling in tomatoes, when my bags were heavy with yellow and green squash and enough greens to start a salad bar. Well, the FDA recommended that farmers whose fields were flooded by Hurricane Irene call it quits for the season because there's no telling what kinds of nastiness the flood waters deposited onto their fields (gasoline, chemicals, waste, etc. from other flooded areas). If someone got sick from eating their vegetables after a farmer ignored the FDA's recommendation, they would be liable, and could lose their farm, in addition to potentially making people sick. So now Stoneledge Farm cleans up and gets ready for next year. It's unfortunate, but it's the responsible thing to do.


So in memory of the wonderful times we had together, this post looks back fondly on the brief days of plenty. This was one of my last CSA bounties:

Early Jersey wakefiled cabbage
Thyme
Summer squash
Wala wala onions
Sun gold cherry tomatoes
Carrots
Biscayne peppers
Black bell eggplant
Slicing tomatoes
Donut peaches
Ciabatta bread
Olive bread
Foccacia
Eggs


This was much more than my normal haul because I volunteered to work at the CSA that week (we're all required to put in a 2.5-hour stint), and with volunteering comes a lovely perk: leftovers. Apparently not everyone requests help from wonderful strangers when they can't pick up their veggies (though I do: Thanks so much, Vicky!), and some people don't pick up their goodies. When the shift ended, us volunteers descended like vultures (if they were vegetarians), and grabbed whatever was left (in my case, that meant peaches, eggs, bread, and more tomatoes than a reasonable person would think suitable).



Those are the lovely donut peaches from the fruit share. They tasted like candy, they were so sweet. 


  They're adorable little things. 



The ciabatta bread was crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside. Wonderful.  



I had a whole chicken in the fridge, so I roasted it with my new CSA onion, carrots, and thyme. I halved a head of garlic, quartered a lemon, and stuffed my chicken with them, and then cut up carrots, an onion, and potatoes to throw around it, varying The Barefood Contessa's Perfect Roast Chicken recipe that is now my go-to chicken  recipe.




It gets easier and turns out better every time I make it.  



I may never buy chicken breasts again!

(Okay now, let's not get carried away...)

1 comment:

  1. I love the "before" and "after" picture of the chicken. Very cool.

    Grey Beard

    ReplyDelete