September 25, 2011

Say hello to my very first guest poster: Catherine Murphy!

For all you Dairy Eaters out there, this post is for you. It's the first post on my blog written by a guest poster, my super-fabulous sister-in-law Catherine Murphy. Last weekend Graybeard and I went out to Hampton Bays, NY to celebrate my favorite in-laws' 40th wedding anniversary. We had a nice dinner at Villa Paul, and Catherine loved her meal, so I asked her if she was interested in writing a review of it, and she was. So without further ado, I am tickled to let Catherine take it from here. (P.S. The pictures are also courtesy of Catherine.)





My review of Villa Paul, by Catherine Murphy

Give me moist and tender breaded chicken, cook it in a buttery wine sauce, load it with hot melty cheese and sprinkle with a couple of juicy capers and you've got yourself a satisfied customer.

That's exactly what I got at Villa Paul last week when we went to celebrate the anniversary of my and Graybeard's parents' 40th wedding anniversary.

I am Graybeard's slightly older, less hairy, less gray, super-fabulous sister.
It was tough choosing a restaurant for us to celebrate at, but after a lot of deliberation Villa Paul met all the criteria.

Owned by three generations of the Pensa family, Villa Paul restaurant is a local Hampton Bays favorite. The site of the restaurant is itself historical and the current structure still retains part of the original log cabin built by Joseph and Phebe Brown in 1804. I chose it because it is family friendly to my 5-year old and 5-month old, reasonably priced, and known for consistently good food. I must say it is intimidating picking a restaurant for my sister-in-law and Graybeard to eat at as they are "foodies," and I on the other hand usually eat to stay alive. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE a yumalicious meal as much as the next girl, but I just don't have it in me to put it together. So basically if it can't be broiled or boiled, I am not making it. So when I do get a great meal, I REALLY appreciate it.


My melt-in-your-mouth chicken was followed by an Almond Joy Sundae that was good, but not great. It needed a little something, like maybe real Almond Joy pieces. It was coconut ice cream drizzled with chocolate syrup and topped with whipped cream, so it satisfied the description just fine, but just missed the mark by about 220 more calories.

All in all, it was a glorious night. It was a joyous celebration of two wonderful people. The food was great, the ambience was great, and I even liked the lighting, which if you know me, means alot.
I recommend the restaurant and would definitely go again.

No comments:

Post a Comment